Labiaplasty is a procedure performed on the ‘inner lips’ of the vagina. These ‘inner lips’ are called ‘Labia Minora’ in medical terms. Sometimes, Labiaplasty also involves procedure done on the ‘outer lips’ of the vagina. The thick structure in the vulva region around the vagina is called ‘Labia Majora’.
Labiaplasty is one of the procedures performed during vaginal rejuvenation along with vaginal tightening (vaginoplasty) and other procedures. As per the requirements of the patient and the discussion that happens between the cosmetic gynecologist and the patient, appropriate procedures will be performed during the procedure.
How many women undergo labiaplasty procedure?
Yes, since 2013 till 2018, the number of women who are undergoing the designer labiaplasty has increased by more than 50%. As more celebrities in the west are becoming open about the medical procedures that they have undergone, more women are becoming conscious and open about the look and shape of their private parts. While some women are undergoing designer labiaplasty just to make the appearance of their vagina younger, beautiful and to feel confident, some women consider this procedure as they have problems with the extra growth of the labia majora or the labia minora regions.
How is designer labiaplasty done at DG Cosmetic & Gynecology Clinic?
Dr. Deepa Ganesh, India’s pioneer in the field of Cosmetic Gynecology heads DG Laser & Cosmetic Gynecology Clinic. She has been one of the most sought after gynecologists by many multi-speciality hospitals in Chennai. Dr. Deepa Ganesh prefers to perform the labiaplasty surgery with high precision laser instead of conventional scalpel. The benefits of using laser for labiaplasty are:
- Low to nearly no blood loss
- Relatively less painful
- Helps in quick healing of the sutured region.
During pre-operation consultation session, Dr. Deepa Ganesh understands the requirement of the patient and suggests labiaplasty only those who really need the procedure. Before the commencement of the procedure, local anesthesia is given and the extra skin on the sagging inner lips of the vagina is trimmed off. They are then stitched and closed. Patient will be allowed to go home the same day but the person should follow certain rules for 2 to 4 weeks on what she can do and not do.
Why women want to go for designer labiaplasty or laser labiaplasty?
To get the reduction of labia majora or the labia minora, different women have different reasons. The reasons most women give to undergo designer labiaplasty are:
- Not happy with the appearance of the vagina. There are cases where the woman herself is not happy with the way it looks, especially after a certain age and multiple vaginal child births or her partner is not happy. For some, the labia minora gets darkened, elongated with lot of skin sagging that doesn’t appeal to the woman herself.
- Longer labia causes discomfort in their activities. When the labia is longer than usual, women may feel uncomfortable when riding bikes, wearing bikinis etc. They also feel uncomfortable when excess moisture reaches the inner lips and stays there.
Similar is the case with labia minora. They feel that it actually shows off when they wear certain types of dresses and they are not happy with it.
- Longer labia minora is causing a problem when having intercourse. This happens physically and mentally.
- For some women, the inner lips come in the way when having penetrative sex making it difficult and uncomfortable to enjoy the sexual intercourse. This hurts them physically and they want to get rid of the extra skin and the tissue.
- When women start disliking the appearance of their vagina due to the extra growth, they don’t feel confident in bed and that shows up unconsciously (stiffening of muscles around vagina or vaginal dryness etc) and results in difficulty in having penetrative sex.
- Presence of cancerous or pre-cancerous cells. If the gynecologist suspects or detects the presence of cancerous or pre-cancerous cells, getting rid of the area will be an option.
Who is not a good candidate for labiaplasty surgery?
- Women who are not in good health should not undergo labiaplasty surgery. This may delay healing and affect their health even more.
- Women who are planning to give birth to more children. There is every possibility that the vagina may not return to it’s original position after child birth post surgery. (Though the elastic nature of the vagina tries to go back to it’s previous condition, the effect of torn muscles and tissues remains.)
- Women who are too specific/particular about the shape of their vagina after the surgery. If you are that kind of person who compares stuff to the last millimetre precision, labiaplasty may not be right for you. An experienced cosmetic gynecologist or a plastic surgeon can get your vagina to good condition after the surgery but it may not be perfect to the last millimetre. A more or less condition should arise here.
What are the risks of designer labiaplasty?
Like any other surgery, labiaplasty is not 100% risk free. Risks include scarring, damage to labia majora, vaginal dryness etc when done by an untrained cosmetic gynecologist or a plastic surgeon. Before you contact any specialist, you must read through their profile, experience and ‘negative reviews’ to get a good idea on their proficiency.