In our previous article, we have covered about ‘Mini tummy tuck’ where in the just the lower bottom of the abdomen is corrected. In an extended tummy tuck (which is similar to abdominoplasty procedure), the fat from the love handles (or side flanks) and lower back is also removed. This should sound as a boon to many people who work out regularly but still find it hard to lose those love handles. If you have excess fat on the thigh, you can speak to your doctor and get that too removed as a part of the procedure.
If you have been religiously working out focusing on your love handles and on the fat in the lower back, and still at loss, extended tummy tuck procedure is just the one you should go for!
What is done during extended tummy tuck procedure?
- This is an inpatient procedure and you may have to stay in hospital for few days after the surgery.
- Surgery will be performed under full body anesthesia.
- An incision will be made in the lower abdominal area. It is the same as the C Section horizontal cut will be made. If you had a caesarean delivery previously, the incision will be made in the same place.
- Then the muscles in the area will be pulled together and sutured to make them stronger.
- The excess skin will be removed.
- If the muscles in the upper abdomen are separated from those in the lower abdomen, another incision above the pelvic region may be made to join the muscles from lower and upper abdomen to get a perfect shape.
- If there is a lot of fat that needs to be removed from the belly region, liposuction will be done. The belly button may be removed and once the muscles are fixed, the belly button will be put back or it may be relocated as the case may be.
- Fat from the love handles area and from lower back will also be removed.
- The skin is pulled together, excess skin will be removed and the rest will be sutured.
- Tight bandages will be wrapped around the pelvis region to reduce the accumulation of fluids in the area and you will be put on antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medicines to prevent infection and quick healing.
Risks associated with extended tummy tuck procedure
As per a study, around 9% of people who underwent extended tummy tuck procedure had to be hospitalized due to complications from the procedure. Complications or side effects of the procedure include:
- Numbness in the region. Usually numbness is quite common as the nerves are disturbed during the surgery. In case of nerve damage, permanent numbness may set in.
- Retention of large amounts of fluids in the surgical area
- Inflammation, swelling and leaking of fluids from the incision site. (This is a clear indication of infection at the site of surgery)
- Damage to internal organs. Abdomen and pelvic region hosts a large number of soft organs in the body. Any damage to these organs can potentially be life threatening.
Caring for yourself after undergoing tummy tuck
- Keep the site away from water. Clean the sites with iodine based liquids and get the area redressed.
- You need to quit smoking at least you heal completely.
- It is better to avoid alcohol. Though alcohol doesn’t affect the healing process, it can hinder with the medication prescribed.
- If drainage tubes are put up, you should get a complete briefing from your doctor on how to handle them.
- Avoid lifting weights, even smaller ones and try not to bend much at least for few days after the surgery.
- Once the stitches are removed, you will continue to see the accumulation of fluids (as the area heals) and that shouldn’t be anything to be worried. If you see anything abnormal or if you are not sure what you are seeing is normal, call your cosmetic gynaecologist immediately.
- A near complete recovery may take anywhere between 3 to 6 months depending on the area worked during the surgery.
Cost of extended tummy tuck in Chennai
Tummy tuck, liposuction and extended tummy tuck procedures can cost anywhere between Rs.3,00,000 to Rs.5,00,000 or more. The factors affecting the cost of the procedure are:
- The area to be corrected. In normal abdominoplasty, only the abdominal area is fixed whereas in extended tummy tuck procedure, the fat on the sides and lower back will also be removed and the muscles will be fixed.
- The expertise of the doctor – always choose the best cosmetic gynaecologist near you for best output and minimal post procedure care.
- The hospital where you get the procedure done. It’s a no-brainer that a smaller clinic charges lesser than a large multispecialty hospital.
If price is the only thing on your mind, then you need to change your mind as you will be at risking your life should you choose the wrong hospital and doctor.
Is extended tummy tuck covered by insurance?
Usually, tummy tuck, liposuction and tummy tuck procedures are cosmetic procedures and are not covered by health insurance. Please call your health insurance provider and check before committing to the procedure.