Labia augmentation using fat transfer is a simpler procedure among the plethora of vaginal rejuvenation procedures that involves taking fat from your own body using liposuction and injecting it into the vulva to plump up the labia majora region.
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is another artificial filler that is widely used to fill concave areas in the body but the patient runs the risk of the body rejecting the substance. If the filler is a part of your own body, it easily accepts and adapts to the changes. Other vaginal rejuvenation procedures such as laser vaginal tightening may also be performed to improve the vaginal tightness but labia augmentation doesn’t tighten a loose vagina.
Ideal candidate for labia augmentation using fat transfer
- You shouldn’t be planning to deliver any more children in the future.
- You should be in good health overall.
- Your target is to just enhance the look of your outer vaginal lips (labia majora).
- You shouldn’t expect the fat transfer procedure to improve your sexual pleasure quotient.
Preparing for the procedure
Before you show up yourself for this 2 hour minimally invasive procedure, your doctor would advise you on the following:
- Stop any blood thinners if you have been using them.
- Quit smoking or at least pause smoking 6 to 8 weeks ahead of the procedure. Smoking hinders the recovery process of the body.
- Avoid alcohol a week ahead of the procedure.
What happens during fat transfer for labia augmentation procedure?
- The area from where the fat is to be taken is marked, similar to regular liposuction procedure. Typically it is from the abdomen or the thighs.
- The fat is then removed using the liposuction procedure. The quantity is very little compared to regular liposuction.
- The fat is then cleaned up and then taken into syringes.
- Then it is transferred into the vulva region on both sides of the vagina at various points.
After the procedure
Normal bruising, swelling and discomfort is quite common as the tissues and skin gets stretched at the injection site. This should subside on its own or you can apply an ice pack.
You will be advised not to have sex until complete recovery i.e. 6 weeks. However, you can return to work after a couple of days. Make sure you don’t sit for a long time, keep walking for every half hour.
After complete healing, you can expect the fullness in the labia majora region giving your vagina a better and younger appearance.
What can go wrong with fat transfer for labia augmentation?
- Liposuction area may get infected if not done with hygienic instruments or if proper after care is not taken until the incisions heal.
- Fat may not get evenly distributed in the labia region which may compel you to under another procedure.
- If the filling is done with hyaluronic acid, there are substances that can be used to dissolve it when the result of the procedure doesn’t come out well. But, in case of fat transfer, reversing the procedure isn’t possible.
- Asymmetry of labia majora can also happen.
- Numbness, that can last for longer periods when any nerve(s) get damaged.
If you don’t pick an experienced and right cosmetic gynaecologist to perform labia augmentation with fat transfer, the chances of having the above side effects go up.
What is the cost of labia augmentation using fat transfer in Chennai, India?
Cost of labia augmentation using fat transfer starts from 80,000 Indian rupees. The actual cost depends on the expertise of the cosmetic gynaecologist, the clinic and the city where the procedure is being performed.